The Philomathia Forum on Energy and Environment is a series of symposia on topics related to contemporary issues concerning energy and the environment. Since 2009, The Philomathia Foundation has supported these forums at UC Berkeley.
The upcoming Philomathia Forum will focus on data science which is being used to better understand energy and the environment, motivate policy, and shape businesses. Through data science large datasets of spatial and temporal information are assembled and manipulated in order to improve the understanding and management of complex systems.
The goal of many recent projects is to apply data-driven research to solve critical environmental sustainability problems. Topics to be discussed in this forum include advanced grid integration of renewable energy with storage, improved efficiency through smart buildings and electric transportation, and mitigated climate change through improved air quality.
Event: 2017 Philomathia Forum on Energy and Environment: Data Science and Sustainability
Date: Thursday, April 20, 2017
Location: Sutardja Dai Hall, UC Berkeley
Program and Schedule
The program for this forum is still being finalized. Please check back for more updates.
Marcia McNutt, President of the National Academy of Sciences
Panel Moderators and Topics
Below is a sampling of confirmed speakers.
- Data Science in Academic Research on Sustainability
- Tracey Holloway, Director of the Air Quality Research Program in the Nelson Institute Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Junling Huang, Philomathia Fellow
- Data Science to Inform Sustainability Policy
- Bill Collins, Director for the Climate and Ecosystem Sciences Division at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Startups Transform Sustainability
- Audrey Lee, VP of Analytics and Design at Advanced Microgrid Solutions
- Emilie Mazzacurati, Founder of Four Twenty Seven
- Stephan Dawson Haggerty, Co-Founder of Building Robotics
- Puneeth Kalavase, Lead Data Scientist at Stem
- Large Companies Leading the Way
- Pawel Zawadzki, Senior Data Scientist at PG&E
- Brinda Thomas, Senior Data Scientist at Tesla